Project Design Lead
We are a growing company in need of a new team member! We consider this position crucial to the development and growth of our company.
What we do: We build and sell boat parts. Boat electrical dash panels. Really cool ones – and we ship them to thousands of customers all over the world!
Our dash panels are built in our shop in Charleston, SC. Each project is is designed using vector design software and cut on one or more of our in-house CNC machines.
It’s great fun to work on passion projects with boaters for boaters. We experiment a lot. We create and design and build new things. We constantly improve our products, expand our product processes to build better panels or efficiently.
What You’ll Do: You will lead our designers to streamline the process and help bring customers to the sale faster and more efficiently. With quicker and better proofing processes – which is an arm of the sales department.
As our Design Lead, you will work closely with our machine operators. We run four rotary and laser CNC machines. Working directly with hands-on production staff, developing machine toolpaths and more efficient design methods, etc.
You’ll review all drawings for accuracy before going into production. You’ll work side-by-side with the production manager to make sure any potential issues are uncovered and corrected.
Our Projects: Our projects are relatively high in quantity and quick in duration. A typical project takes maybe 1-3 design hours with 2-3 designers working, you might oversee as many as 15 or 20 projects a day.
The environment is a shop, where physical products are built. But it’s more of a large co-working space and is professional, air-conditioned, clean, respectful type place with polite co-workers and environment. You would sit at a desk, and work roughly 50% at a computer, and 50% on your feet, moving about.
Who we’re looking for: A vector design expert with a technical, mechanically inclined, STEM type mind. Someone who can switch gears to interface between our sales/project estimators, our technical design team and our customers!
- Work Ethic– Standard on all our job postings. We want to work with folks who have a genuine work ethic. Our business is busy and growing. Everyone here is on a mission to get crap done… this is NOT a place where you’ll spend half the day flipping through your phone.
- CAD experience – Vector design experience – specifically CorelDraw is a plus.
- Mechanically Inclined– You’ve got to have a head for this stuff… angles, measurements, etc… we machine parts and set rotation speeds, and feed rates and make accurate measurements with feeler gauges and calipers.
- Detailed & Thorough– Our panels look beautiful… and there are LOTS of them every day. We have to stay organized and every production person’s second job is QA, to make sure we deliver a top notch product.
So that’s what we want – what do we offer?
- Fun place to work– We work hard, but everyone’s nice and our shop is generally a pleasant place to work. We’re always making and building things, trying new and better ways of doing everything.
- A small, growing company– We’ve grown from a 4 people to a 21 person company in under 5 years.
- Very anti-BS– We’re not a stuffy corporate place with strict hierarchy and layers of management bureaucracy. Anybody can walk into the owner’s office to discuss an issue or make a suggestion.
- No Micro-Management– We don’t have time to stand over your shoulder watching every move… we expect this job to be able to perform.
- PTO– 1 week paid time off annually, increasing from there.
- Holidays– 6 paid holidays off.
- 401(k)– Eligible after 1 full year of employment. 4% matching.
- Salary– Competitive salary based on qualifications and interview.
- Profit Sharing – We offer a profit sharing plan, eligible after 1 year
- Location – Central location in North Charleston on Dorchester Rd near Cross County.
How to Apply – Please apply using the application below
This is the only way for your application to be considered. Please do not show up at our facility. If selected, we will contact to let you know how to proceed with the application process.
We will use phone interviews, in-person interviews, personality assessments and more to find the perfect candidate.